If you are following my blog, you probably know by now that I am knocking out the alphabet…the A, B, Cs of leadership.
I have been delaying the letter “C”, because I have to tell you…I had nothing…nothing that had been really discussed before. I thought about collaboration, communication, creativity, blah, blah…boring! It’s all been said…yes…we all need to be better communicators, we all need to collaborate more, and we can certainly all use a bigger, better dose of creative thinking.
But…what struck me on Monday after Kanye West pulled his little stunt at the
This incident came on the heels of Serena Williams, another leader in the athletic world,
A couple of other examples:
So, here’s the deal. When you are a leader, all eyes are on you. If you are saying or doing something that crosses a line…especially in public, you are going to get your hand slapped. If you have a violent outburst, you are going to lose followers. On the same note, I completely understand losing your cool one, even two or three times, but when it becomes a repeating pattern, it is time to start implementing a few steps to turn this around. So, here we go:
1) Know what your triggers are. Keep those in check. When you receive a trigger that is going to be followed by an outburst or an inappropriate action, stop the process by getting yourself out of the way. I know this is not possible on the tennis court, so when you cannot get out of the situation, close your eyes, take a deep breath and count to ten.
2) Write out on paper the triggers that get you fired up, and notice when you are getting ready to move into an encounter, argument, and think of something positive…just do this one time.
3) Walk it off…movement can help.
4) After you get the trigger, write down 10 things you are grateful for.
5) Look more closely at what attention you are seeking. Maybe it’s time to look for positive attention for doing something great for the world…not for attacking others.
6) Be mature and professional. Taylor Swift appeared yesterday on The View, and here is how she responded when asked about Kanya West doing his thing:
“Wow, I can’t believe I won… This is awesome… Don’t trip and fall… I’m gonna get to thank the fans, this is so cool… Oh, Kanye West is here!’,” Swift told the ladies on The View, “‘Cool haircut… What are you doing there? And then, Ouch. And then, I guess I’m not gonna be able to thank the fans.’ ”
What a class act this young woman is…we can all learn from her response, and