The BlogWorld Expo will be held October 14-16 In Las Vegas, and since many of us (yours truly included) cannot attend, several bloggers in the Become a Blogging Maniac Community believe that this would be a great week to mass blog about a topic of importance and use a contest approach to pull people into this initiative.
So, after a few weeks of discussion and deliberation, the My Blogging Mentor group has agreed on the topic for our contest:
How to Fully Meet the Learning Needs of People from Birth to the End of Life
If you have been following the national and global news and your local community news lately, I am sure you have heard that education is a big topic, and many local political leaders and citizens are starting to take education VERY seriously…pouring millions of dollars into education at the local and state level in an attempt to raise the bar to the nth degree. If you do not know about all that is going on right now around the topic of education, simply go to Google and type in “education discussion” and you will find something big on almost every top media site. I am a true believer that the more we bring awareness to this topic through writing, dialogue and action, the stronger our education system will be for our past and future generations of learners. So, as a way to bring awareness to this topic, a blogging contest on the topic of Education will begin today, Monday October 11, 2010 and will run for one week. The deadline for your post will be Monday, October 18, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. EDT.
So, here are the guidelines for the blogging contest.
1. Your blog entry must focus on the topic of education. Examples include (but are not limited to):
* How to address the needs of lifelong learners
* Bullying in the classroom and beyond (cyberbullying, corporate bullying)…how is bullying affecting our education system, and what do we need to do to stop it?
* What does our education system need to change so that it not only grows but begins thriving to the point that our drop out rate declines and education becomes top of mind for all humans?
* How do we better address the learning needs of the special needs/learning disabiliies for our children and adults? (Examples: ADD or Adult ADHD, dyslexia, autism).
* How do we address the learning needs of the gifted child and/or adult?
* What are your views on “teaching to the test”…are we on the right track or off? Why or why not?
* What do we need to do to address the needs of the creative learners of our world? (People who are wildly creative but not necessarily focused on math, reading and the sciences?)
* How do you believe technology should be used to enhance learning?
* Does every person need a colllege degree? If so, explain. If not, explain.
* How can community colleges continue to address the needs for our future?
* How can we rally around community colleges so that they are top of mind when a student graduates from high school?
* What role do parents play in education? Are parents involved enough, too much or do we need more support and involvement from parents?
2. Your blog post must be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 1000 words. Any blogs which do not meet the minimum or maximum will be automatically disqualified.
3. Your blog will be judged based on creativity, emotion, new thinking and pushing the edge enough for our judges and the public to stand up and take notice.
4. Your blog may contain one link inside the post mentioning your website or another link/blog post on your website, and you may mention your website in the “About the Author” paragraph at the bottom. If your blog post contains more than this maximum, your blog will be disqualified from the contest. This is not a promotional contest (yet you will get plenty of promotion…trust me, so there is no need to try to sell us a product or talk about products and services). Unless your blog post is disqualified, it will appear on http://blog.becomeabloggingmaniac.com/blogging-for-education in the order in which it was received.
5. Your blog must be submitted no later than Monday, October 18 at 5:00 p.m. EDT. We are putting a tight time line around this so that you blog from your gut and not invest too much time in research. We want to know what YOU think and feel…not what someone has told you we need to do.
6. If you are entering the contest, please send the full url to the blog post itself (not the url of your main blog but the url of your blog post) to email@example.com.
7. Your blog post will be posted on the Become a Blogging Maniac site, and we will be pinging 30 social networks everyday to let folks know to come to our page to view the new entries.
8. A panel of five judges (bloggers, writers and leaders from education) will pick ten of the top blog posts, which will then be voted on by the public by anonymous survey.
9. Open voting for the ten finalists will begin on Thursday, October 21 and will close on October 30. The winner of the contest will be announced on November 1, 2010.
10.The winner will receive a $200.00 cash prize or access to the My Blogging Mentor Program….value of $1495.00. If you choose the My Blogging Mentor prize, you will receive 6 (90 minute) blog mentoring sessions with Bea Fields and lifetime access to all of the Become a Blogging Maniac courses and resources. The winner will also receive exposure to over 50,000 people through email announcements, retweets on Twitter, posts on Facebook and news/social sites such as Digg and Stumble Upon.