With leadership comes great responsibility: The responsibility for revenues, the responsibility for people, the responsibility for public image, and the list goes on and on. And, it is not uncommon for many leaders to over-manage in an effort to get things done.
If you are someone who has a challenge with over-control, the first question is to look closely at why this is happening. Take this quick quiz, and answer “yes” or “no.”
1) I over-manage, because I am way too busy to communicate with my team.
2) I over-manage, because I am the only one who can get things done the right way.
3) I over-manage, because I am impatient.
4) I over-manage, because I don’t trust other people.
5) I over-manage, because I am a control freak.
6) I over-manage, because I feel guilty about giving people too much work.
7) I over-manage, because my board is breathing down my neck.
8)I over-manage, because I am impatient…I want the job done NOW!
9) I over-manage, because I don’t have the money to pay for great talent.
10) I over- manage, because I am afraid to make a mistake.
It is not uncommon for a meddling leader to have not jut one but several of these challenges. Once you decide which of the above are your big challenges, there are opportunities for coaching on each and every one, and they begin with your own behavior. If any of these challenges resonate with the pains you are feeling as a leader, shoot me an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. I am happy to meet with you for 15 minutes to talk through your challenges to see what types of solutions may be available..